Krishna Godavari Diocese is one of the 24 national dioceses of Church of South India formed in September 1947. The Diocese is located in the state of Andhra Pradesh covering all the coastal districts in the state. Geographically; the diocese is extended in 8 revenue districts of the state and has a coastline of above 1000 km. The total population of the diocese is 3 lacks only and almost all the congregations belong to dalit community and some pockets are tribal. It has a total of 150 parishes with 700 congregations. 90% of the congregations are rural and it is the rural congregations with which the diocese is identified with. There are more than 20 villages where the entire population belongs to exclusively the Church of South India.
The Diocese is a pioneer in development from centuries and have been implementing various programs in the fields of education, health, social development projects, skill training to youth and women, child care programs, relief and rehabilitation programs for the empower and liberate the people to face the challenges in the society and to lead a dignified life.
By the end of the 19th century, the Anglican Church in entire Telugu speaking land was under the jurisdiction of the then vast Diocese of Madras. The Dornakal Diocese of the Anglican Church was formed along with the installation of the First Indian Bishop of the great reputation late V. S. Azariah in 1912 and became the first Telugu Diocese in Anglican tradition by the first indigenous missionary society named as The Indian Missionary Society of Tinnelvelly (IMST), comprising of all the coastal districts and some parts of Telangana province. The Diocese of Krishna-Godavari in turn bifurcated from the erstwhile Dornakal Diocese in the year 1947 with Rt. Rev. Y. Muthyalu as its first Bishop. It was one of the five Anglican Dioceses which were joined in the Church Union named as Church of South India on the 27th September of the same year along with other 8 dioceses of Methodist and S.I.U.C Church backgrounds.
The Church in India is sprouted up with the unfolding efforts of the missionaries from various evangelistic missionary societies or associations belonging to different Christian traditions from different western nations. The Church Missionary Society (CMS) is one of such society founded in the year 1799. During the British rule in India in 19th and 20th centuries, the western missionary agencies received repeated requests from the English Government officials to extend their missionary work as the then Indian society was very much backward in terms of poverty, literacy, health, caste discrimination, gender discrimination etc., There were many blind faiths and superstitions prevailed in the society. Dalit and women were the most vulnerable communities in the society.
The two southern rivers in India namely Krishna and Godavari plays a vital role in the culture, economy and the means of living in the life of the people of Telugu speaking land in south-eastern coastal plains of India. During 1842, Goldingham, the then English Collector of Krishna District wrote to CMS Home Board, requesting to send the missionaries as he came to a conclusion that this area direly in need of missionary services in filling the spiritual vacuum by providing the educational and other social upliftment programmes. Immediately the CMS responded by sending two missionaries namely Robert Turlington Noble and Henry Walker Fox in the same year. Rev. R.T. Noble mainly concentrated on educational ministry, while Rev. H. W. Fox vigorously involved in evangelization. Both these missionaries operated their entire missionary activities from Machilipatnam, which is an ancient port town of south eastern coast of India. Missionary movement was succeeded by many missionaries such as, Mr & Mrs. Sharkey, Canon F. W. N. Alexander, Rev. A. E. Goodman, Rev. Harrison, Rev. Darling, Sis. Carol Graham etc.,
The Krishna-Godavari is still struggling hard in terms of financial management in spite of several developmental measures. In this connection some more income generation projects are to be initiated at Vijayawada, Machilipatnam, Nandigama, Jangareddigudem, T. Narsapuram, Dharmajigudem etc., in order to strengthen the financial feasibility of the Diocese to carry out the mission and ministry of Jesus Christ.
During 18th century the missionaries called Church Missionary society, England came to present Krishna Godavari Diocesan area and started their Missionary work. Since the area is predominantly Dalit area, they observed the social condition of these people prevailing in the society and started educational institutions to educate the children of these unfortunate communities. They have established 327 primary schools in Dalit localities attached to the church and so e are still continuing as Church – cum – schools.
During 1920’s all these schools were recognized by the Government and after the formation of the Church of South India, Krishna Godavari Diocese in 1947 all these 327 schools were transferred to the CSI Management. For more than a century it was the pioneering efforts of the Church schools many dalits, dalit Christians and other backward communities came up in life and have also become leaders of the church as well as the Nation.
It is the pride of the church that these churches run schools were only educational institutions in the country which catered Educational needs of the people in rural villages. It is gratifying to note that in more than 100 years of its glorious history these church schools have rendered yeoman’s service to thousands of dalits, dalit Christians & other neglected communities through the relentless pursuit of excellence in education and personality development these institutions were engaged in the noble task of forming future citizen of the country.
These institutions have been sending thousands of children to the services who by their character, discipline and their actions have assisted the country a better place for living. They have entered every conceivable field of human endeavor and made a difference where ever they existed. They include distinguished IAS officers, Doctors, Engineers, Teachers, Actors, Artists, and Politicians, Leaders of the Nation and State and a host of other vacations.
They have gone across the length of breadth of this great land of ours and also crossed the borders. They went out from here with a blazing faith and essential goodness of their fellow human beings.
The primary schools which were recognized by the Government during 1920’s established by the CMS Missionaries have been transferred to CSI management in the year 1947. Most of these schools are thatched sheds without any facilities. At present the condition of these schools are very pathetic and are not able to run the school under these roofs. The Government has been granting very meager amounts to the schools. During the visits of the respective mandal education officers and are threatening the management to derecognize the schools if the management fails to construct a pucca building for the school. In addition to this due to ban on the recruitment the management is not able to recruit the vacancies which occur due to retirements. As a result all the schools became single teacher schools which became burden to the existing single teacher to deal more than 100 children where the actual teacher student ratio 1:40. Because of this the quality of education is also decreasing and the parents are not willing to send their children to these schools. If there are no recruitments in the future these single teacher schools will become zero schools and the children belong to dalit and dalit Christians will be lost their chance to educate in these schools and the purpose of the establishment of these schools by the missionaries will also be lost.
In the plight of the present situation of the school buildings and in order to improve the quality of education the diocese has been involved in the construction of school buildings in the remote and rural villages since 2000with the following objectives
These animators were being paid an amount of Rs.1,500/- per month towards honorarium. These animators will assist the existing teacher in the smooth running of the school, form, parent, and teacher – committees, establish rapport between the teacher and the parents and increase the role of the children in the school through regular house visits.
The Diocese has been encouraging the Clergy to upgrade their Theological qualifications in the available theological Colleges/seminaries nationally and internationally. In this Triennium 3 Pastors finished their upgradation programmes and returned back to their services from South Korea and Geneva, Switzerland and one pastor from TTS, Madhurai. While one pastor is pursuing M.Th program at Gurukul, Chennai and another at ACTC, Hyderabad.. There are 16 students pursuing their B.D. course in ACTC Hyderabad, UTC Bangalore, Gurukul, Chennai and Bishops College, Kolkata.
The Diocese has deputed one Presbyter in Muscat CSI Telugu Congregation. The Diocese is at present having 166 full pledged priests, 07 Deacons, 25 Special Bodhakulu and about 60 Evangelists at Mission fields.
Some of the big Parishes were regrouped/bifurcated to facilitate the Pastors to concentrate more and to visit their congregations regularly. To add to the previous re-grouping, in this biennium, the following Parishes were re-grouped.
The Diocese is having 8 CSI Board of Child Care Homes serving to about 1000 children. Adding to this, special projects like Arunodaya home for the Street Children, Prema Nivas school for the mentally and physically challenged children, Asha Jyothi rehabilitation home for the HIV infected/affected children.
At A.Konduru Village, the Diocese has a Community Health Project for the medical intervention. It is serving more than 15 villages surrounded by A.Konduru predominantly belonging to tribals. In Vijayawada, Vathsalya Hospital renders healing ministry with a team of 3 Medical Graduates from CMC Vellore.
The Project has been established at Dharmajigudem in West Godavari District as a CFCD Project in supplying the nutritional food to children 10 surrounding villages and serving the needy people with micro-credit also.
Ministry in this field is a priority for the Diocese. The mission of propagating Gospel, establishing Congregations and Children Hostels besides providing to meet Health and Educational needs to the Tribal people.
The Diocese enjoys Partnership with Ober-Hessen Diocese in Germany, with 3 deaneries viz., Hungen, Kirchenberg, Grunberg in the Church of Hessen and Nassau. The partnership is growing more vibrant every year.
A new Partnership with Madurai-Ramnad Diocese of CSI, was initiated by the CSI Synod Officers. We appreciate the Bishop and Bishopamma of Madurai-Ramnad and their team for their spirit of Partnership.
The Diocese is now planning Master of Commerce (M.Com.) Post-Graduate Degree approved by Nagarjuna University at Bishop Azariah Degree College, Vijayawada. P.G.Course with Chemistry at Noble College, Machilipatnam, approved by National Academic Accredited Council (NAAC),. 3 D.Ed Colleges and 1 B.PEd., are going to be started from the coming academic year. By the upcoming of the above Institutions, we hope the Diocese is sure to serve its people in a better way.
The Church celebrated 150 years of history in different parts of the Diocese at Bhimunipatnam, Eluru, Raghavapuram, St.Paul’s Centenary Church at Vijayawada. The rural Church celebrates its anniversaries between 130-150 years including some Schools and Noble College.
During this triennium the Diocese is able to build IVth phase of St.Andrew’s Cathedral Complex (N.T.Gnanaprakasam Complex) at Machilipatnam, CSI Asirvad Complex at Bishop Azariah High School at Vijayawada. Both these two complex buildings will earn good income to support the welfare programmes in the Diocese.
On 24th of November every year, which is our dear Bishop’s Consecration day, the Diocese will celebrate it as Pastors’ Christmas. Every Pastor and his/her spouse will participate in the celebrations and enjoy the fellowship and get the mood of Christmas of the season. In an another occasion, a day before the Lenten season every year, all the Clergymen will attend a Pre-Lenten Seminar and will get prepared for the Lenten Practices and will receive the ‘Lenten Deekshaws’ from the Bishop.
As a token of remembrance, the Diocese celebrated the 70th CSI Founder’s Day (27th of September) on 8th of October 2016. The Diocese conducted a big event on that day at Vijayawada. Approximately 1000 people including Pastors families participated in the programme and celebrated the event under the leadership of the Bishop and Bishopamma. In commemoration of the above anniversary, the Diocese sponsored to take 30 selected Presbyters to Chennai on 26th, 27th and 28th of September 2016, to be able to participate in the celebrations, held at LITE Auditorium at Chennai and made them for an opportunity to participate in commemoration service, held at St. George’s Cathedral.
This Youth Retreat was conducted in Vijayawada under the leadership of Rev. K. Jason and Rev. Solomon, Synod Youth Director in May 2016, which was witnessed by about 1000 youth representatives from all over the Diocese.
Under the able guidance of our Bishopamma Mrs. Ramani Dyvasirvadam, President of the Diocesan and Synod Women’s Fellowship, the activities of Women’s Fellowship are very energetic and dynamic in Urban Churches as well as Rural Congregations.
The Rt.Rev. Dr. G. Dyvasirvadam
Situated at the South-eastern Coast of the state of Andhra Pradesh in India.
Predominantly a rural Diocese with a few urban and semi-urban congregations.
Telugu (local vernacular language), some tribal languages like Koya, Lambada, etc.
Diocese has three hundred thousand of communicant members.
Predominantly agriculture, Animal Husbandry, Fishing and allied.
5 Church Councils
Respective Church Council Chairman
Respective Deanery Chairman
644 Congregations grouped into127 Parishes
Respective Presbyter-in- Charge
34 Self Supporting Congregations
Post Graduate Centre
Secondary (High) Schools
English Medium Schools
Primary/ Upper Primary Schools
Residential Child Care Centers
Integrated Child Development Programmes
Flat No: TF-3, Mahalakshmi Residency,
Opp: Efftronics, Brindavan Colony,
Diocesan Office, CSI TA BASS Complex,
Gopal Reddy Road, Governorpet,
Gopal Reddy road, Governorpet,
CSI TA BASS Complex, Gopal Reddy Road,
Governorpet, Vijayawada-520 002,